This recipe is modified after Lotta Lundgren’s recipe of ratatouille. Lotta is a Swedish food blogger and author, a cook I believe. Her book “Om jag var din hemmafru” is fabulous. Mind you, freely translated the name of her book is If I was your (house) wife. Do have a look at her blog and the book if you can find them. She writes in Swedish but you will get the idea. The pictures in the book are great! Not traditional cook book pictures! And the tastes are good and recipes fresh.
Lotta has got aubergine, tomato, pepper, chorizo sausage and chevre in her ratatouille. My version is a veggie one and with zucchini. She cooks it in the oven with the chevre on top and I cook it in a pot on the stove adding the chevre or a mixture of chevre and yoghurt on the plate. The dish is absolutely fabulous. The lemon adds to the taste. Do try it with chorizo too and even with salami or salsicca. I sometimes use herb mix Provencal if I don’t have fresh thyme.
After trying this recipe for the first time I’ve changed the way of cooking aubergine. Earlier I would always cut the aubergine, salt it and let it cry i.e. sit for half an hour. I thought the taste would not be good and that it would not cook properly without the salting bit. I would also use loads of olive oil to cook it. Now I know it gets just as good without the “crying” and the oil. The lemon and the tomatoes, of course, play their role in the cooking and flavouring of the aubergine.
3 small red peppers (sweet)
1 yellow onion
4 gloves of garlic
4 – 6 tomatoes
olive oil and butter
1 tbsp brown sugar
thyme, salt and pepper
1 – 2 dl black olives
chevre mixed with natural yoghurt
- Dice the onion and garlic. Dice the aubergine, zucchini and peppers.
- Sauté the onion and garlic in a pot. Add the other diced vegetables and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Grate the zest of the lemon and dice the tomatoes.
- Add the tomatoes, lemon zest, juice of one lemon, sugar and thyme and the olives. Let simmer for 20 minutes. Check that the aubergine is done and let cook for a bit longer if not. Check the taste and add some salt and pepper if needed. You can take out the thyme twigs if you like. I think they only look good.
- Serve with the chevre mix.
Lotta’s blog http://hemmafru.se